Instruction and Guides
Main Stream Canoe is offering an American Red Cross Fundamentals of Canoeing course available to individuals or small groups.
•To provide the student with an awareness of the common hazards associated with the sport of canoeing and to develop the safety knowledge and skills to avoid such hazards.
•To provide the students with the skills to rescue themselves and others from routine accidents associated with paddling on calm slow moving water.
•To provide skills and knowledge necessary for the safe enjoyment of a recreational canoe outing from home, to the water, and back home again.
•Approximately 15 hours.
•All students must have water confidence.
•All students must have a Red Cross swim certificate or must perform a swim test which includes the ability to float, swim, and tread water unaided for three minutes.
•All students should possess the physical size, strength, and stamina commensurate with the course demands. Minimum age requirement is 12 years of age, accompanied by an adult.
•$95.00 per person, includes all canoes and related equipment.
•$45.00 per person with own canoe.
•Pre-registration is required with a $15.00 deposit per person.
•5 person minimum, 10 person maximum per certified canoe instructor.
Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information) on OutdoorZ LLC's web site for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on OutdoorZ LLC's web site;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by OutdoorZ LLC at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- The materials on OutdoorZ LLC's web site are provided "as is". OutdoorZ LLC makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, OutdoorZ LLC does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall OutdoorZ LLC or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on OutdoorZ LLC's Internet site, even if OutdoorZ LLC or a OutdoorZ LLC authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on OutdoorZ LLC's web site could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. OutdoorZ LLC does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. OutdoorZ LLC may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. OutdoorZ LLC does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
OutdoorZ LLC has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet web site and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by OutdoorZ LLC of the site. Use of any such linked web site is at the user's own risk.
8. Governing Law
Any claim relating to OutdoorZ LLC's web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of Connecticut without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
General Terms and Conditions applicable to Use of a Web Site.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will not sell or share your contact information with others.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
CLASS 1: Moving water with a few riffles and small waves. Few or no obstructions.
CLASS 2: Small scale rapids; 2' waves; few large rocks; wide, clear, obvious channels.
CLASS 3: Rapids with high, irregular waves; narrow passages often requiring complex manuevering. 3' waves, some small hydraulics, some rocks and eddies. Some scouting a good idea.
CLASS 4: Long, difficult rapids with constricted passages often requiring precise maneuvering in very turbulent water. Powerful 4' to 6' waves, boiling eddies, dangerous rocks, hydraulics. Scouting necessary, conditions make rescue difficult.
CLASS 5: Extremely long, difficult, very violent rapids with highly congested routes. Many riverbed obstructions, steep drops, 6' to 8' waves, strong currents and hydraulics. Scouting absolutely necessary; significant hazard to life in the event of a mishap.
CLASS 6: Difficulties of Class 5 carried to an extreme. Nearly impossible.
C.F.S. stand for "cubic feet per second", and it is a measure of the volume of water that passes a given point in the river in one second. Click here to see the flow coming out of Riverton today.
SUPs (Stand Up Paddleboads)